Re: FESCo revote on "Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer" Change proposal [was Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)]

Hi Matthew,

On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 11:47:54AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2023 at 06:06:47PM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> > Therefore, I hereby request that the vote be annulled as having happened
> > in violation of the Change policy.
>
> So, from a purely "what are the rules?" view, the Change process says:
>
>   FESCo will vote to approve or deny a change proposal in accordance with
>   the FESCo ticket policy.
>
> ... and I won't quote all of that, but looking at
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/#_ticket_policy...
> I don't see any violations, either in the letter or the spirit of what is
> written.
>
> And, from a practical point of view, since this passed with six +1 votes,
> I'm not sure what benefit canceling and re-voting would really add.

It does feel to me as being against the spirit, and only not against
the letter because it is presented as a "revote" on an existing change
proposal instead of proposing a new change proposal (which this really
is IMHO).

Practically people have started preparing for the mass rebuild at the
end of last year since that was when the change checkpoint for change
proposals requiring a mass rebuild was. And at that point the Change
Proposal was already decided to not be included. So it was never
expected that the build flags would suddenly change so drastically
(and some flags are still wrong). Cancelling and backing out these
last minute changes will cause a lot less stress.

Socially I think it will be better for all involved if the policies on
revoting and/or reintroducing a change proposal are first clarified
before allowing a revote. At the moment everybody involved seems hurt
because of the unclear policy. Not having clear rules on the needed
visibility and time needed to discuss this revote/resubmission of the
change proposal caused people to assume the worst about others. Lets
reset and take the time to heal first, so people start actually
talking about real solutions again.

Cheers,

Mark