Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)

On Sun, Jan 08, 2023 at 06:06:47PM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> > Still, it gives an extremely bad impression of rushing this through
> > without giving anybody the chance to object.
> >
> > I also do not see why this needed to be approved for F38 on such a short
> > notice and could not wait for F39.
>
> PS: The impression I get is that everything was deliberately rigged so that
> the vote would end up the way it did:

You're mixing up two things: a vote being "rigged" with a result you don't
like. Absolute majority (6 out of 9) of voting members voted in favour.

The rules in Fedora are that FESCo gets to vote on certain things. There is a
time reserved for public discussion, but at some point a vote is scheduled, and
at that point we often discuss things in a meeting and vote one way or another
without futher input from outside.

It does happen occasionally that repeat votes happen, for example a resolution
is approved, but somebody immediately raises some additional concern so it is
amended. At that point we don't seek repeat opinions from all stakeholders.
Things would take forever, and most stakeholders wouldn't change their opinion
anyway for some minor detail.

The changes to this Change proposal were not considered major changes that would
require a repeat discussion on fedora-devel, but were instead a narrowing and
clarification of the proposal, so the vote was held at the earliest convenience.
It is important that *FESCo members* know about the vote, which obviously
they did in this case because absolute majority did vote.

If you were to look at FESCo meeting logs, this happens every once in a while:
a proposal is made, it get's a few +1 votes but not enough and is effectively
rejected, so a different-but-similar proposal is made and the vote repeats.
Sometimes we go through a few of those in one meeting. In this case this was
split over two meetings, but is not substantially different. Discussion was
ongoing all that time, both publicly and privately, and there is nothing that
says that FESCo members must not change their votes based on new information.

The intent of this particular proposal is to learn and adjust based on the
feedback from the initial implementation. The specific flags on different
architectures can and should be adjusted to get the desired result.

An interesting phenomenon is that before the Change was approved, most of the
feedback on fedora-devel was about whether we need the change at all, and how
horrible the performance degradation will be, and what distribution to switch
to. After it was approved, the feedback immediately became more technical, with
suggestions about specific flags and architecture differences.

If we had approved the Change 3 months ago, we would have gotten that useful
part of the feedback much earlier. For me the lesson is that we shouldn't dawdle
on high-stakes controversial votes, but instead approve ambitious proposals
early and have more time to adjust or even revert if it turns out necessary.

Zbyszek