Re: FESCo revote on "Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer" Change proposal [was Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)]

On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 at 10:08:11PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > ... and I won't quote all of that, but looking at
> > https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/#_ticket_policy...
> > I don't see any violations, either in the letter or the spirit of what is
> > written.
[...]
> It does feel to me as being against the spirit, and only not against
> the letter because it is presented as a "revote" on an existing change
> proposal instead of proposing a new change proposal (which this really
> is IMHO).

To be clear -- I don't think what happened is in conflict with the _FESCo_
policy about tickets (see link above). FESCo does not, as far as I can see,
have any specific policies about how votes related to a Change should be
conducted. And I don't think there is a general "FESCo can never reconsider
decisions!" rule.

But like I said, I _don't_ think this revote was as visible or transparent
as it should have been, and I agree that that doesn't really fit with the
intention of the Changes policy.

> Socially I think it will be better for all involved if the policies on
> revoting and/or reintroducing a change proposal are first clarified
> before allowing a revote. At the moment everybody involved seems hurt
> because of the unclear policy. Not having clear rules on the needed
> visibility and time needed to discuss this revote/resubmission of the
> change proposal caused people to assume the worst about others. Lets
> reset and take the time to heal first, so people start actually
> talking about real solutions again.

Yep, I definitely agree with this.

--
Matthew Miller