Re: Review Request: ImageMagick7

Neal Gompa wrote:
> There are actually
> other packages I could fix in Fedora with patches from openSUSE or
> PLD, but they need more work to not break compatibility with building
> with GraphicsMagick (which these packages in question support), so
> using IM6 there for now is fine while that gets worked out.

If there are patches, I do not see why we cannot just apply them downstream
instead of building against a compat package, especially if we make
ImageMagick 7 the default as you propose.

There is no rule in Fedora that any and all patches must be upstreamed.
Especially building against the distribution's version of a library is
exactly what a distribution is for and hence the perfect example of when it
makes sense to patch a package.

IMHO, either we go with Sergio's plan, letting ImageMagick be version 6
forever and introducing ImageMagick7 (and in the future ImageMagick8, etc.)
for all newer versions, then we can slowly switch packages from ImageMagick
to ImageMagick7, or we go with your plan and move ImageMagick to version 7,
but then we should do all we can to make really everything use the new
version.

        Kevin Kofler