Re: Silent changes in Packaging Guidelines

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 12:12 PM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Or they will just do what I used to do long ago and just do a temp spec file with some sort of `%files *` and then rpm -ql and then `rpm -ql | sed` and replace the data in the pushed spec with the list. Nothing is caught because few people have time for the several hundred packages they are maintaining.

As I recall(*), there are spec files that just
find the various installed files (categorized
as needed), and then use the -f option
on the %files section.  Which, technically,
meets the requirements, while not dealing
with the intent at all.  I think this is really
a question of scale.  For smaller packages
with a small number of expected files,
listing them explicitly is going to be a
smaller burden to add or maintain, but for
larger packages (arguably exactly the
ones that are more likely to "stomp" on
other files and you want to catch changes
for), the work is likely much higher (to the
point that one adds in automation to hide
the work).

(*) I think glibc is an example, but it
has been some time since I looked.