Re: Silent changes in Packaging Guidelines

On Thu, Nov 03, 2022 at 04:01:58PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 12:12 PM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Or they will just do what I used to do long ago and just do a temp spec file with some sort of `%files *` and then rpm -ql and then `rpm -ql | sed` and replace the data in the pushed spec with the list. Nothing is caught because few people have time for the several hundred packages they are maintaining.
>
> As I recall(*), there are spec files that just
> find the various installed files (categorized
> as needed), and then use the -f option
> on the %files section.  Which, technically,
> meets the requirements, while not dealing
> with the intent at all.  I think this is really
> a question of scale.  For smaller packages
> with a small number of expected files,
> listing them explicitly is going to be a
> smaller burden to add or maintain, but for
> larger packages (arguably exactly the
> ones that are more likely to "stomp" on
> other files and you want to catch changes
> for), the work is likely much higher (to the
> point that one adds in automation to hide
> the work).

I don't think that the scale question is a big factor here
because this is a one-time hit when creating the spec. If a
package install 1000 files into %{_bindir} or %{_includedir}
by all means use a script to automate the filling of %files
without wildcards, when first authoring the spec file.

On subsequent updates to new releases, the projects are not going
to be adding/removing huge numbers of files in these directories.
You'll be looking out for a small number of changes, just like any
other package regardless of scale.

With regards,
Daniel