Re: ANTLR packages and i686

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 4:15 AM Jerry James <loganjerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The various ANTLR packages will be impacted by
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Drop_i686_JDKs.  The parser
> generators, which are written in Java, will no longer be available on
> i686.  If absolutely necessary, we could continue to package the
> various language runtimes for i686.  That would be a major pain in the
> neck.  WIth ANTLR 4 in particular, the version currently in Rawhide
> (4.10.1) is not compatible with previous runtimes.  Most of the
> consumers we have in Rawhide ship parsers that were generated with
> ANTLR 4.6 through 4.9 generators, so they are not compatible with the
> 4.10.1 runtimes.  (We regenerate the parsers at build time.)
> Continuing to support i686 would therefore mean packaging old versions
> of the language runtimes, just for i686.
>
> My preference is to stop building everything ANTLR-related on i686.
> This has consequences for packages written in C, C++, Go, and OCaml,
> at least.  I'll omit Java packages other than the ANTLR packages from
> the lists below, since they will disappear from i686 on their own.

I agree. That would be my preference too.

> Affected packages with maintainers:
> - antlr3 (jjames, mizdebsk, dchen, mjakubicek, walters): we could
> conceivably keep the C, C++, and JavaScript runtimes if absolutely
> necessary
> - antlr4-project (jjames, mhayden, @go-sig): we could conceivably keep
> the C++, Go, JavaScript, Python3, and Swift runtimes, but see above
> - azure-cli (mhayden, @python-sig): needs the Python3 runtime from the
> antlr4-project package
> - belle-sip (nucleo, sdgathman): needs the C runtime from the antlr3 package
> - coq (amdunn, jjames): needs the Python3 runtime from the
> antlr4-project package
> - cvc4 (jjames, brouhaha): needs the C runtime from the antlr3 package
> - flocq (jjames): depends on coq
> - frama-c (jjames): depends on why3
> - gappalib-coq (jjames): depends on flocq
> - golang-github-google-cel (eclipseo, @go-sig): needs the Go runtime
> from the antlr4-project package
> - golang-google-grpc (eclipseo, @go-sig): needs
> golang-github-google-cel.  Is consumed by a TON of other Go packages,
> so many that I did not attempt to trace them.
> - ocaml-menhir (jjames): we can remove the coq subpackage only on
> i686; it isn't consumed by anything in Fedora
> - why3 (jjames): depends on flocq

Not sure why your list does not include these, but the following
packages also build-require antlr-C++:
* gdl - already has java bcond; BR on antlr would need to be wrapped into bcond
* nco - seems to have ability to be built without antlr (with limited features)
* sqlitebrowser - looks like application (and we don't ship i686 kernel)
* vfrnav - likewise