Re: F37 proposal: Fallback Hostname (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 6/14/22 07:13, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 6:53 AM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I think the key difference is whether basic configuration is
>>> expected as part of Anaconda, or whether there's a further configuration
>>> step. The first approach is common for individual desktop or server
>>> installs. But the latter is common for image-based installs -- whether it be
>>> Fedora IoT or a server VM or cloud image, or a pre-installed desktop.
>>
>> Given that cloud-init, for example, can configure a system as fine-grained as Anaconda, I think it's more about whether a system is running in a managed or unmanaged environment.
>>
>> Practically more important seems to me that Anaconda on the workstation live medium is so reduced that you can configure neither the network nor a hostname (only keyboard, storage medium and time zone). Therefore, we need to configure a plausible default hostname on desktops anyways, and the Change Proposal is for server type systems only.
>>
>> And with server type systems, perhaps we can assume that system administrators knows what they are doing?
>>

> In my experience, this statement is so rarely true (in terms of
> understanding the full consequences of choices and defaults) that it's
> a bad cop-out. Anaconda does not require you to set a hostname as part
> of installation. Since it does not require that, having a decent
> fallback hostname is useful. The problem is that when you have
> multiple machines with the same hostname, WINS/DNS and mDNS are
> completely unusable.
>
> This Change originally came out of Fedora CoreOS, where OpenShift
> couldn't tolerate machines with the "fedora" hostname[1]. The problem
> is that the machine-config-operator doesn't know how to handle
> fallback hostnames *at all* and has hard coded logic to fix the
> hostname only if it's "localhost". The operator's logic has not been
> fixed to determine whether the machine's hostname is a fallback
> hostname (and thus eligible to be reconfigured). If there was an easy
> way for the operator code to determine that we're running with the
> fallback hostname so that it knows to replace it, that would allow
> OpenShift folks to fix the problem on their end.

I think the OpenShift example is a good example of a class of problems. If
I thought we'd never hit this problem again if we just changed that OpenShift
code then I would go that route instead of this route.

> I would be happy to withdraw this Change if we had solutions to these
> problems, because from a Fedora Cloud perspective, we basically nearly
> never hit the fallback case except for Vagrant (where it makes sense
> to have it trigger). For desktops, we'd prefer to have the fallback
> hostname be "fedora", but fixing it so that a randomly generated
> string is appended would make it work properly in the multi-machine
> home network case (which is commonplace these days).

I would still prefer to not withdraw this change. If we could make changes
to make it more likely that a user will set a hostname properly then that
is great and they won't hit the fallback case.