Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

> Am 17.05.2022 um 15:02 schrieb Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 8:33 AM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoogen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> So tell me, if we actually *did* this, what are *you* planning to do
>>> to make open source Java more attractive? What are you going to do to
>>

>> Why is this their job to do that? They, like N% of Fedora packagers, are volunteers who just have @redhat.com addresses. They have limited time, resources and ability to keep the packages in Fedora. They, like many other volunteers, are finding that 'free' time is getting smaller, and are trying to come up with ways to keep it in.
>>
>> If other people want it to be promoted and attractive, they need to do the marketing work to do so.
>
> My expectation is based on how both Python and .NET have done this:
>
> The Python team made "Fedora Loves Python": https://fedoralovespython.org/
> The .NET team maintains the Developer page for .NET and has a domain
> redirect to it: https://fedoraloves.net/
>
> These groups also do advocacy for Fedora in their upstreams and the
> broader communities. I don't know why you or anyone else wouldn't
> expect the packagers of OpenJDK to do advocacy for Fedora to the
> OpenJDK project and the broader Java community? Maybe they wouldn't be
> alone, but if they're not part of it, then the efforts fail.

These are all excellent ideas. Do you also have an idea on how to get this going (except "it would have to be someone ....“)? The current packagers are booked up maintaining the software, I suspect. Additional people are needed, and cooperation between the "old" and the "new" has to build up.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast