Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 19:36 Tue 10 May     , Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Vitaly Zaitsev via devel:
>
> > On 10/05/2022 15:29, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >> This is initial step to move JDKs to be more like other JDKs, to build
> >> proper transferable images, and to lower certification burden of each
> >> binary.
> >
> > Strongly -1. Bundled versions are always outdated and may be even
> > vulnerable.
>
> And upstream only incorporates security fixes once per quarter, so the
> recent zlib bug (CVE-2018-25032) would have to be reintroduced, or a
> downstream-only patched for it applied.  There was some confusion
> whether this bug only happened with Z_FIXED, but there's been another
> reproducer now.  Given the lack of public discussion (following upstream
> policy), it's not clear whether this has been taken into account.

It's not quite as simple as bundled is always worse.

It really depends a lot on how well the package is maintained and how
quickly security updates for the system package make it into Fedora.
Yes, if a security fix comes out right after a quarterly security
update to OpenJDK has happened, it could be at least three months
until the version in the JDK is patched. How problematic this is
depends on how exploitable the issue is from JDK code.

Having being involved in these security updates for over fifteen
years, I've seen cases both where the fix is already in the system
version and also where it is not (and may be some time before it is,
depending on the seriousness of the bug). This includes cases where
the bug is discovered at the JDK level and so the issue can be
resolved there before it is in the upstream project.

One thing I can say is that determining whether the system version
is fixed or not adds additional work to the process, and also
causes confusion when Oracle are reporting a CVE as fix in the
JDK update and we are not (because it's already fixed in the
system library)

Also, my sympathy for this argument is a little short, given the
number of times we've released OpenJDK updates for Fedora on unembargo
date, only for them to sit waiting for karma.  Recently, we even had
one security update usurped by a later regression fix because it still
hadn't gone stable in over a week. Let's not pretend that Fedora has
every security issue fixed as soon as the unembargo lifts.

> Once the vulnerability scanners get better, we should really avoid
> copies of the demangler code because of its occasional vulnerabilities.
> They won't be exploitable in OpenJDK (at all), but scanners will
> eventually flag the presence of that code, still requiring security
> updates.

That seems to assume that the JDK retains the old version of the
code. The in-tree libraries do get updates as part of quarterly
security updates.  As I say, there are even times when this happens
when the issue is not yet public.

If a scanner is flagging bundle code in the JDK as being vulnerable,
then that's something we can raise in the OpenJDK vulnerability group
to get the code fixed in OpenJDK. That's actually better from a
"upstream first" position as we are then improving all builds of
OpenJDK, rather than taking a position of it not being our problem
because the system version is fixed.

Thanks,
--
Andrew :)
Pronouns: he / him or they / them

PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222