Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

* Vitaly Zaitsev via devel:

> On 10/05/2022 15:29, Ben Cotton wrote:
>> This is initial step to move JDKs to be more like other JDKs, to build
>> proper transferable images, and to lower certification burden of each
>> binary.
>
> Strongly -1. Bundled versions are always outdated and may be even
> vulnerable.

And upstream only incorporates security fixes once per quarter, so the
recent zlib bug (CVE-2018-25032) would have to be reintroduced, or a
downstream-only patched for it applied.  There was some confusion
whether this bug only happened with Z_FIXED, but there's been another
reproducer now.  Given the lack of public discussion (following upstream
policy), it's not clear whether this has been taken into account.

Once the vulnerability scanners get better, we should really avoid
copies of the demangler code because of its occasional vulnerabilities.
They won't be exploitable in OpenJDK (at all), but scanners will
eventually flag the presence of that code, still requiring security
updates.

If demangling can be disabled (so that mangled names show up in crash
dumps), I think eliminating the remaining libstdc++ dependencies is a
few week's work, mostly involving documenting interposable functions on
the GCC side.

Thanks,
Florian