Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

> Am 17.05.2022 um 05:08 schrieb Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I don't know if you're going to gain any sympathy for stating this,
> considering how badly the Fedora Java ecosystem has fallen apart in
> the span of five years. Both in the wider Red Hat world and within
> Fedora itself, Java has received less and less love, to the point that
> it has been brutally starved. It has gotten so bad that Debian (!!!)
> beat us to newer Java and we had to *beg* for this to be fixed. So
> much for Features and First, eh?

We had that discussion some time ago. The essence is: Your description is not accurate.

We have - as for years - a very stable and current and highly usable JRE / JDK.

Many application program disappeared as RPM. This is not particularly important for the use of Java programs. Since any jar / was /ear program runs on any JRE, it pretty much does not matter where the jar comes from. All Fedora-specific issues are managed by the JRE/JDK.

However, I too would be happier if we had more programs in RPM form.

> We've also lost most of our Java based apps to even test OpenJDK with.
See above, there are so many Java progs, just not as RPM (and this does not affect comfort and usability in case of Java).

> We lost
> Eclipse last year, and we lost IntellJ and NetBeans several years ago.

We didn’t lost Eclipse, we switched from RPM to another distribution method. The same with Netbeans.

> The larger Java community stopped
> encouraging the development of desktop apps more than seven years ago,
> and with it all the things people would normally be able to use with
> it are gone.

Maybe (we have much more alternatives today, so a single technique relatively shrinks), but that wouldn’t be a Fedora issue.

> The Red Hat Java team has done *nothing* that I can see to advocate
> for Java in the larger Fedora community, nor have they tried to appeal
> to people to make applications like Microsoft does with .NET.

I agree, that’s an issue in Fedora, too. Technically, everything is highly developed and of high quality. But, IMHO, the "ensemble around", which is essential for long-term success, is considerably neglected.

I have tried to get involved on several occasions, but have thrown in the towel in discouragement. I am still ready to get involved, if I could find an on-boarding route.

> So tell me, if we actually *did* this, what are *you* planning to do
> to make open source Java more attractive?

Basically, you could ask these questions to anyone here, and perhaps to yourself as well.

It must be achieved to develop an initiative that bundles the existing technical expertise with new ideas and new people and drives the project forward not only technically, but also the "ensemble around".

But how?

I don’t know. At least not with accusations and clever speeches alone.

--
Peter Boy

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy
pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast