Re: Would it be useful to have a video call to discuss the "Deprecate Legacy BIOS" Change proposal?

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 09:29:27PM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> >That’s maybe true for desktops, but in the server world any server needs
> >to be able to do bios boot, because of the data center requirements.
> >
> Interesting I would assume that those data center requirements would
> make it a requirement for example to be using uefi's native http
> protocol to address the shortcomings of traditional (i)pxe, so which
> data center requirement are those and where can I find documentation
> about them?

I think Peter's referring to "practical requirements" not "compliance
requirements" — the latter probably indeed better with UEFI, secure boot,
and a lot more, but the former in the real world being "yes, we've got way
more legacy hardware, configuration, and policy than ideal, but we also
don't have the staffing or budget to change it all at once". That's unlikely
to be publically documented — but nonetheless is believably true. (And I
think it's probably _particularly_ the case in small-medium environments
which might choose Fedora Server.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>