Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 10:05 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 03:43:07PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Clover is described here:
> > https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader
>
> This is interesting. Seems like considerable up-front work, but a much
> cleaner possible future than completely dual paths.

On my (still countably) infinite TODO list I had
an item on it to spend more time looking at
Clover to be able to boot (in UEFI mode) one
of my older BIOS only Core 2 duo quad systems
that I had picked up for pennies on the dollar
at a local surplus store.  At this point it is a
question of whether I will find the time to do
so or the system itself will finally die.  Since
the original placement (on my list), the Clover
devs have substantially improved it to the
point that a lot of the rough edges have been
mitigated, although given all the various
implementations of BIOS's there are still
going to be edge cased (just as there are
still rough edges with UEFI, especially the
earliest implementations).

> Are there docs on this somewhere other than the Arch wiki? (Which, as usual,
> is very helpful!) -- https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Clover

As is typically the case, the Arch wiki is better
than almost all other available docs.