Re: F37 Change: Encourage Dropping Unused / Leaf Packages on i686 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 11:09 AM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 6:05 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(snip)

> I'll add some context to these. I'm currently the primary maintainer of three major projects in the VFX stack, OpenImageIO, OpenColorIO, and OpenEXR. Do we really need i686/arm packages for these? No one is using the 32bit versions in industry. That being said, some of these are deps for end user packages that MIGHT be used on i686 or armv7 (Blender?), but if they are, it can't be a good experience.

I wonder how you think those end user packages MIGHT be used on i686
on i686 or armv7?
Given that 1) armv7 has been removed from F37+ entirely, and 2) we do
not ship any i686 packages to users (except for multilib on x86_64)?

> Another major package is FreeCAD, which is a 3D solid modeling project. I seriously doubt anyone is running this on an ARM device (even 64 bit) until workstation level arm devices are widely available. There could be a few i686 users but not many.

Again, how? We haven't even had i686 kernels (let alone installable
Fedora images) since Fedora 31.

Haha... I knew we didn't have installers but completely forgot about the kernel. I thought maybe people could still update if they had an i686 install and was doing upgrades.

So basically, there's zero reason to be building huge packages like FreeCAD for i686, and really 32-bit arm because I can't imagine anyone doing CAD work on that platform

Thanks for the reminder!

Richard