Re: F37 Change: Encourage Dropping Unused / Leaf Packages on i686 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 08. 03. 22 21:43, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 02:11:14PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
Rather than churn 20,000+ packages (plus add a new requirement for every
new package to include an ExcludeArch), why not address this at the build
system?

This makes sense to me. I don't think we should be changing spec
files to implement this.

Yeah. I'd like to not be adding _more_ things spec files.

I think we are all misinterpreting the intention of this change proposal.

We are suggesting better ways to get rid of i686. And the arguments are valid. However, I now think that this change proposal was not proposed to get rid of i686, not even to get rid of most of the i686 packages. Indeed, there are more sophisticated ways to do that -- OTOH volunteers don't seem to exactly pile up.

I think this change proposal has a different goal in mind. A simpler goal. Goal that requires no volunteers:

Give maintainers a blanket approval to exclude i686 if it bothers them in any way and their package is a leaf i686 package. That is it. Will this speed up eventual i686 retirement? Possibly, but not much. But that is not the goal. The goal is to clearly communicate: It is OK to drop this, you don't need to ask for permissions or file bugzillas, just make sure you don't break anything (and here's how you check if you are not breaking anything).

Is that correct, Fabio?

If so, I think it is actually a good thing to do. It won't solve the big elephant in the room, but it has the potential to ease packaging for some.

--
Miro Hrončok