Re: F37 Change: Encourage Dropping Unused / Leaf Packages on i686 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

Once upon a time, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Give maintainers a blanket approval to exclude i686 if it bothers
> them in any way and their package is a leaf i686 package. That is
> it. Will this speed up eventual i686 retirement? Possibly, but not
> much. But that is not the goal. The goal is to clearly communicate:
> It is OK to drop this, you don't need to ask for permissions or file
> bugzillas, just make sure you don't break anything (and here's how
> you check if you are not breaking anything).

I guess I don't find that a particularly compelling proposal then.  The
first benefit listed is:

   Stopping to run unnecessary package builds on i686 will free up no
   small amount of resources. In particular, stopping to build for i686
   could potentially free up almost half of the existing x86 builder
   resources in koji.

Then lets actually stop unnecessary package builds, by filtering out the
source packages that are neither delivered, nor required to build any
delivered i686 package.  I don't see any real reason to involve
individual package maintainers in that, and especially no reason to
update spec files for that.  The packages are ALREADY not delivered, all
that is needed to stop building them too.
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>