Re: F37 Change: Encourage Dropping Unused / Leaf Packages on i686 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

The packaging effort is real; it’s just unevenly distributed across different types of packages, so some packagers might not have noticed it.

Packaging work that, with the demise of 32-bit  ARM, can now be ascribed purely to these generally-unused i686 packages includes:

- As Fabio noted, occasionally disabling LTO or reducing debuginfo to keep compilers operating within 32-bit resource limitations.

- Debugging test failures related to 32-bit platforms—on which upstreams typically don’t or can’t test, so these are more and more common.

- Developing, testing, and submitting patches for 32-bit bugs.

- Creating, and seeing in the packager dashboard, mandatory ExcludeArch bugs that basically say “upstream doesn’t care about 32-bit architectures and never will, and the problems are too fundamental to fix downstream.” These are noise, since they will never be fixed.

- Creating even more ExcludeArch bugs for the dependent packages of libraries that don’t support 32-bit platforms.

- Making noarch Python packages arched because a dependency of an “extra” is 64-bit-only, so we need to conditionally produce the corresponding extras metapackage everywhere-but-i686.

- Conditionalizing weak or optional dependencies that don’t support 32-bit—again, forcing some noarch packages to become arched.

Some categories of packages seem to very rarely need this kind of work. In others, like scientific Python, 32-bit and big-endian issues are pervasive and can be the most labor-intensive aspect of many packages. Finding a way to cut out the 32-bit part of that really would make a difference.