Re: Let's retire original glib and gtk+ (new report)

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 05:51:35PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 01:41:30AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> > Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > > The maintainer is unwilling to retire them.
> > >
> > > I think we should ask FESCo to force them to be retired. It's confusing
> > > to have ancient versions of the packages in the distro, and they will
> > > stick around forever if not.
> >
> > I do not see why we would want to force removing working, maintained
> > packages from the distribution. That is a major disservice to users and
> > basically a "screw you" to the maintainer. Whom does that help?
> >
> > GLib 1 and GTK+ 1 are compatibility libraries. It is their whole purpose to
> > "stick around forever", at least as long as somebody is willing to maintain
> > them. They are needed to keep legacy applications working.
> >
> > If FESCo wants to get involved at all (I do not really see any need for them
> > to intervene in the first place), I ask FESCo to affirm that a compatibility
> > library can remain in the distribution as long as it is maintained and to
> > ask people to refrain from posting unhelpful threads such as this one.
> >
> > Nobody is asking you to maintain those packages, so I do not see why you
> > need to care at all about their existence.
>
> Could they be renamed "glib1", etc?  That would remove any confusion
> that they cause with the latest glib, and as Kevin says above they can
> then be ignored by people who don't care about them.

Or at least the description changed to make it obvious that they
aren't-the-library-you-are-looking-for most of the time.

Right now glib %description is:

  GLib is a handy library of utility functions. This C library is
  designed to solve some portability problems and provide other useful
  functionality that most programs require.

Zbyszek