Re: Is NetworkManager-wait-online.service necessary by default?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 12:17:27AM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 11:55 PM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Once upon a time, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> > > So this is the culprit. iscsi.service has Before=remote-fs-pre.target,
> > > After=network-online.target, which means that it'll delay the boot.
> >
> > If that's the problem, there's some other issue.  On my up-to-date F35
> > system, iscsi.service also has:
> >
> > ConditionDirectoryNotEmpty=/var/lib/iscsi/nodes
> >
> > And on my systems, that directory is empty, so iscsi.service shouldn't
> > be holding up anything.

Conditions are evaluated when the service would be exectued, so a unit
which is (eventually) skipped because of Conditions still has effect on
the boot ordering and may add additional jobs to the transaction.

systemd.unit(5) says:

  The conditions and asserts are checked at the time the queued
  start job is to be executed. The ordering dependencies are
  still respected, so other units are still pulled in and ordered
  as if this unit was successfully activated, and the conditions
  and asserts are executed the precise moment the unit would
  normally start and thus can validate system state after the
  units ordered before completed initialization.

> How can one be sure that (in the general case) that one of the units
> that you are running After will not create the files/directories
> that will impact the test Condition(s)?

We aren't. In fact the conditions are checked later as described above.

> Those tests occur before the unit is actually started, but not
> before the ordering is performed.

Yes.

Zbyszek