Re: Long-running side tag for porting Fedora to C99 (no implicit decls)

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 8:27 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Neal Gompa:
>
> > Seems like a worthy effort to me. Though instead of having branches
> > for redhat-rpm-config, you could add macros to flag it on and off by
> > default, and have releng configure a side-tag for you that turns it on
> > for package builds (we can have macros set for build tags).
>
> Is it possible to set a dist tag suffix for the branch, then?  In
> combination with the flag approach, that would actually be more
> convenient (assuming the gcc folks are okay with a conditionally applied
> patch for that branch).

You can set the dist tag suffix in the build tag too. That's what we
do for ELN, for example.

You can set any number of macros this way and use them as flags to
trigger behavioral differences in packages submitted to build. The way
*I* suggest doing it (you may choose another way, of course) would be
to set the flags up in the build tag and build from the rawhide
branch. Fixes for C99 should be integrated straight into the mainline
rawhide branch anyway.