Re: Long-running side tag for porting Fedora to C99 (no implicit decls)

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 8:07 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to create a long-running rawhide side tag for preparing
> Fedora for the removal of implicit function declarations from the GCC
> defaults.  This is a change that happened in the C99 version of the
> language, but GCC could not adopt at the time because too much software
> was broken by it.  Even today, there are build failures, and, arguably
> worse, successful builds with different feature sets.
>
> The goal is to disable implicit function declarations in GCC 13, to be
> released in spring 2023 (not next year's GCC 12 version).  This plan was
> presented at this year's Cauldron, and was met with approval:
>
>   Eliminating implicit function declarations
>   <https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/11/contributions/1014/>
>
> I have some space to work on this during the coming months, for
> implementing the buildroot changes (in gcc and presumably
> redhat-rpm-config, built off branches in dist-git), for creating some
> HTML reports, and even for creating the package changes themselves.
> Changes will be submitted to upstream projects initially.  Eventually,
> we'll have to fix the Fedora packages if there's no upstream release
> with the fixes.  We'll need some way to coordinate the fixes between
> multiple developers, a way to find unapplied upstream fixes once we are
> heading towards Fedora 38, and ideally some way to share patches across
> distributions if the upstream project no longer exists/accepts patches.
>
> If Fedora wants to support this, I'd need a long-running side tag in
> Koji, and a few dist-git branches (for gcc and redhat-rpm-config).  I
> can do the test builds as scratch builds, to conserve storage space and
> not to pollute Koji with uninteresting NVRs.
>
> Thoughts?

Seems like a worthy effort to me. Though instead of having branches
for redhat-rpm-config, you could add macros to flag it on and off by
default, and have releng configure a side-tag for you that turns it on
for package builds (we can have macros set for build tags).