Re: [RFC] Remove supoort for NIS(+) from PAM

On 02/10/2021 15:27, James Szinger wrote:
These days, I think FreeIPA or Active Directory are the best choices,
but both are complicated and possibly too much for a SO/HO, workgroup,
or departmental sysadmin.  AD has the advantage of supporting Windows,
MacOS, and Samba; the last time I looked FreeIPA was not good at this.

While a FreeIPA server certainly doesn't come for free in regards to system resource consumption. And you need to relate to at least the webadmin at times. Under the hood it also surely is complicated, but from an every-day use .... is it that complicated?

I'm running an IPA server at home on a VM which should have been given more memory, but it is functional and responsive enough. And I don't really think much about it. Adding new users is easy enough. And enrolling a new host and get it setup is also fairly straight forward (run `ipa-client-install` and optionally `ipa-client-automount`). Once the IPA client install has completed, logins usually work instantly with sudo access and whatever else you've configured in the domain.

But it must be said ... I don't have any other hosts than Linux hosts at home. A more heterogeneous environment might bring in bigger challenges.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth