F36 Change: Retired Packages (Self-Contained Change proposal)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetiredPackages

== Summary ==
Easy the task of removing packages, which were retired and no longer
receives updates.

== Owner ==
* Name: [[User:msuchy| Miroslav Suchý]]
* Email: msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx

== Detailed Description ==
This follows the [[Changes/Fedora-Retired-Packages]] which was
withdrawn. This time I provide a script `remove-retired-packages`
(presented in the package of the same name) which identifies packages
retired between N-1 and current (N) version. Alternatively, user can
run:

    remove-retired-packages 32

which will look for packages between Fedora Linux 32 and the current version.

The packages are suggested to be removed one by one, which allows the
admin to skip the package and keep it on their machine despite being
retired.

Part of this proposal is to change
[https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf-system-upgrade/#sect-optional-post-upgrade-tasks
the documentation for the upgrade].

== Feedback ==
See [[Changes/Fedora-Retired-Packages#Feedback original feedback page]]

[https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/XQMUSHK7HX65LQUJBFDNY47YPMCPI5MG/#XQMUSHK7HX65LQUJBFDNY47YPMCPI5MG
Discussion] on devel mailing list prior this proposal.

== Benefit to Fedora ==
* We suggest users to remove packages that are no longer maintained
and may contain security vulnerabilities.
* We make sure that archaic packages do not break upgrade between two
versions of Fedora.

== Scope ==
* Proposal owners:
Subpackage `remove-retired-packages` has been created (subpackage of
`fedora-upgrade`).

* Other developers: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Release engineering: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Policies and guidelines: N/A (not needed for this Change)
Edit of https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/dnf-system-upgrade/#sect-optional-post-upgrade-tasks
- will be done after approval from FESCO.

* Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
* Alignment with Objectives: N/A

== Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
Packages that are no longer maintained are removed during a
distribution upgrade.

== Dependencies ==

None.

== Contingency Plan ==
* Contingency mechanism: (What to do?  Who will do it?) N/A (not a
System Wide Change)
* Contingency deadline: N/A (not a System Wide Change)
* Blocks release? N/A

== Documentation ==
N/A (not a System Wide Change)

== Release Notes ==