Re: I think we should stop building i686 packages we're not shipping

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 09:07:25AM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 8:16 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On 01/09/2021 10:47, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > Also, there are tons of old closed-source i686-only games that depend on
> > > i686 libraries other than Wine or Steam.
> >
> > We can't provide i686 support forever.
> >

> We pretty much can. Unless something deliberately breaks in the
> software or someone decides to pull the plug, we can pretty much keep
> doing it forever.

It'll suffer death by a thousand cuts over time. We've already seen
maintainers unilaterally dropping support for 32-bit arches with the
rationale that upstream no longer considers it a tested platform. We
see frequent complaints about builds failing due to memory limits
being exceeded in 32-bit, made worse by LTO.

So far the cuts have not affected the distro too broadly, but it can
only get worse over time and the ripples will be increasingly painful
through the build dep chains.

I'm ambivalant on whether we need to stop it right now, but I doubt
it is sensible to let it live on forever, with ever less usage. The
cost/benefit tradeoff will cease to be a win at some point.

Regards,
Daniel