Re: Any recent changes to the arm builders?

* Neal Gompa:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 12:45 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> * Neal Gompa:

>> > There is no "magic" other than qemu-user-static needing to be
>> > installed. Mock will transparently handle everything just fine. It's
>> > how I build foreign architecture packages on my computer.
>>
>> No, the code would run natively, without QEMU, like i686 on an x86-64
>> kernel.  There is no emulation.
>
> That depends on the CPU. As Dennis and Peter like to remind me,
> armv7hl backwards compatibility is *optional* in AArch64 CPUs (which
> was really a stupid idea, but whatever). There are several AArch64
> CPUs that lack it. Maybe we're lucky and ours have it like the RPi CPU
> does, but not all do. My AMD Opteron A1000 board doesn't, for example.

Fedora can choose builder hardware that has native userspace support for
32-bit programs.  Today, this requirement is much easier to meet than
32-bit support in supervisor mode, particularly for hardware that one
can reasonably install in a data center.

Jeremy Linton already said as much on this thread:

| OS wise, 32-bit containers/etc work fine on 64-bit fedora
| kernels. This also solves the problem that server grade HW with 32-bit
| guest (EL1+) support is becoming rarer (basically only older A72 based
| platforms now) and would provide a path forward on more recent
| Gravaton2, Ampere, etc platforms.

Also see the table on page 3 of
<https://developer.arm.com/-/media/Arm%20Developer%20Community/PDF/Cortex-A%20R%20M%20datasheets/Arm%20Cortex-A%20Comparison%20Table_v4.pdf>.
It says “AArch32 at EL0 only” for all the newer cores.

With a 64-bit kernel, we would haven't use LPAE mode either, which I
assume is a an outlier and otherwise rarely used with 32-bit Arm
kernels.

Thanks,
Florian