Re: New maintainer experience

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 11:53:49PM +0300, Otto Urpelainen wrote:
> Iago Rubio kirjoitti 18.8.2021 klo 14.32:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Following my messages on the "The Death of Java Packages" thread on
> > this list(1), Ankur Shina suggested to me to give a go at being a
> > package maintainer and let the mailing list know how it goes.
> >
> > I hope this to be a constructive and helful way to help get more people
> > onboard.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to report you experiences! Long time Fedora
> contributors have already learned all the common pitfalls and learned to
> avoid them, so it is really useful to get the newcomers perspective,
> especially when it is written as clearly as you do here. Please keep
> posting.

Agreed. :) Good to get feedback...

> > I pointed my browser to  the orphaned packages that need new
> > maintainers(3) page, as it seems the most appropriate for the task, and
> > it gave me some guidelines and a link to the "Lists of Orphan and
> > Retired Packages"(4) where I found a 500 response.
> >
> > I have informed the webmaster at fedoraproject.org email address of the
> > issue.
>
> Reporting this kind of issues is certainly the right thing to do. There are
> many issues, large and small, in Fedora tooling. Filing issues is the first
> step to get things fixed.
>
> I am not sure if you got or will get a response to your email. In this case,

However, I don't see your post there. Did you get a bounce or rejection
email?

> the problem seems to be in Pagure engine that powers src.fedoraproject.org,
> so I filed a bug there [1].
>
> [1]: https://pagure.io/pagure/issue/5209

Yeah, the problem is due to it trying to gather all of them over all
releases and it just is too many to gather in a timely manner.

> > Meanwhile I went for other preparation steps as I was asked to join
> > some mailing lists, devel (already on it), package-announces, devel-
> > announce, package-review, packaging. At the lists suscription page (5)
> > I was asked to log in, tried with  fedora account, but that did not
> > worked, so I guess the hyperkitty account is not linked to the fedora
> > account system.
> > ,
> > AnywayI put my email address in the suscribe form and joined the
> > mailing lists.
>
> At least for me, the login screen at lists.fedoraproject.org has a button
> (the first and largest one) saying "Fedora", which does the right thing.
>
> I am not sure what is the use of the other options, including creating a
> separate account for that service only. Maybe it is just that some component
> that was used to make Fedora login possible gave those others for free.

We should remove the login/password there. It was only added for
persona users who couldn't login via persona after mozilla retired it.

> Anyhow, as you just discovered, lists.fedoraproject.org can be very well
> used without ever logging in. Actually, I did it for the first time while
> writing this post.
>
> > Then I went to the package review status page (7) to get a look at the
> > review proccess and I found a bit shocking the first package from
> > review seems to be lurking around since 2015 and the guy still did not
> > found an sponsor. May be I did not understood what was going, but that
> > alone would be enought to demotivate many folk around. If you think
> > it's going to be 6 years to get sponsored and submit a package, is
> > somewhat easy to back down being a packager at Fedora.
>
> If you had looked there half a year ago, you would have seen one from 2008.
> Unfortunately, reviews sometimes get stalled because either the reviewee or
> reviewer drops the ball for whatever reason. There is automation to detect
> and close these automatically, but if they are in a Bugzilla state that is
> no picked up, they can stay there indefinitely.
>
> I have been going through those manually and closing them if they really are
> dead. Some were even completed after years of silence. I have reached
> November 2016 already. The 'giza' review request you mention still has some
> activity going on, that is why it has not been closed. It is a sad story if
> you read through the comments, not a typical package review issue at all,
> all kinds of trouble just stacking on top of each other. Let us just hope
> that the remaining issues get resolved.
>
> I have hard time believing that anybody would not get sponsored if they just
> follow the instructions on doing the informal package reviews and then file
> an issue at package-sponsors issue tracker [2], explaining what they have
> done.
>
> What I have not been able to understand is why Fedora has two parallel
> processes for getting sponsored, the FE-NEEDSPONSOR flag and the
> package-sponsors issue tracker. I have a feeling that the former is just a
> relic and Fedora would be better off by just instructing aspiring packager
> group members to file a properly filled ticket in the latter. But I am not a
> packager sponsor myself, so I do not really know how this appears from that
> side.

Yeah, that process could be revamped for sure. In theory sponsors go and
look at the FE-NEEDSPONSOR blocker and sponsor folks from it as their
time permits. The issue tracker is for people following the 'become a
co-maintainer of existing package' flow.

> [2]: https://pagure.io/packager-sponsors/issues
>
> > By the way not on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join nor at
> > https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/ there exists a packager role. I guess
> > this is on purpose, but it doesn't helps to recruit people.
>
> I am not really familiar with these pages, but at the former, packager seems
> to be a sub role of "OS Developer" and the latter actually has it [3]. Not
> sure why these two use different categorization, perhaps they are from
> different periods or made by different people?
>
> [3]: https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/en/#packaging

There is also:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Package_maintainer_responsibilities/

kevin