Re: New maintainer experience

Iago Rubio kirjoitti 18.8.2021 klo 14.32:
Hi all,

Following my messages on the "The Death of Java Packages" thread on
this list(1), Ankur Shina suggested to me to give a go at being a
package maintainer and let the mailing list know how it goes.

I hope this to be a constructive and helful way to help get more people
onboard.

Thank you for taking the time to report you experiences! Long time Fedora contributors have already learned all the common pitfalls and learned to avoid them, so it is really useful to get the newcomers perspective, especially when it is written as clearly as you do here. Please keep posting.

I pointed my browser to  the orphaned packages that need new
maintainers(3) page, as it seems the most appropriate for the task, and
it gave me some guidelines and a link to the "Lists of Orphan and
Retired Packages"(4) where I found a 500 response.

I have informed the webmaster at fedoraproject.org email address of the
issue.

Reporting this kind of issues is certainly the right thing to do. There are many issues, large and small, in Fedora tooling. Filing issues is the first step to get things fixed.

I am not sure if you got or will get a response to your email. In this case, the problem seems to be in Pagure engine that powers src.fedoraproject.org, so I filed a bug there [1].

[1]: https://pagure.io/pagure/issue/5209

Meanwhile I went for other preparation steps as I was asked to join
some mailing lists, devel (already on it), package-announces, devel-
announce, package-review, packaging. At the lists suscription page (5)
I was asked to log in, tried with  fedora account, but that did not
worked, so I guess the hyperkitty account is not linked to the fedora
account system.
,
AnywayI put my email address in the suscribe form and joined the
mailing lists.

At least for me, the login screen at lists.fedoraproject.org has a button (the first and largest one) saying "Fedora", which does the right thing.

I am not sure what is the use of the other options, including creating a separate account for that service only. Maybe it is just that some component that was used to make Fedora login possible gave those others for free.

Anyhow, as you just discovered, lists.fedoraproject.org can be very well used without ever logging in. Actually, I did it for the first time while writing this post.

Then I went to the package review status page (7) to get a look at the
review proccess and I found a bit shocking the first package from
review seems to be lurking around since 2015 and the guy still did not
found an sponsor. May be I did not understood what was going, but that
alone would be enought to demotivate many folk around. If you think
it's going to be 6 years to get sponsored and submit a package, is
somewhat easy to back down being a packager at Fedora.

If you had looked there half a year ago, you would have seen one from 2008. Unfortunately, reviews sometimes get stalled because either the reviewee or reviewer drops the ball for whatever reason. There is automation to detect and close these automatically, but if they are in a Bugzilla state that is no picked up, they can stay there indefinitely.

I have been going through those manually and closing them if they really are dead. Some were even completed after years of silence. I have reached November 2016 already. The 'giza' review request you mention still has some activity going on, that is why it has not been closed. It is a sad story if you read through the comments, not a typical package review issue at all, all kinds of trouble just stacking on top of each other. Let us just hope that the remaining issues get resolved.

I have hard time believing that anybody would not get sponsored if they just follow the instructions on doing the informal package reviews and then file an issue at package-sponsors issue tracker [2], explaining what they have done.

What I have not been able to understand is why Fedora has two parallel processes for getting sponsored, the FE-NEEDSPONSOR flag and the package-sponsors issue tracker. I have a feeling that the former is just a relic and Fedora would be better off by just instructing aspiring packager group members to file a properly filled ticket in the latter. But I am not a packager sponsor myself, so I do not really know how this appears from that side.

[2]: https://pagure.io/packager-sponsors/issues

By the way not on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join nor at
https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/ there exists a packager role. I guess
this is on purpose, but it doesn't helps to recruit people.

I am not really familiar with these pages, but at the former, packager seems to be a sub role of "OS Developer" and the latter actually has it [3]. Not sure why these two use different categorization, perhaps they are from different periods or made by different people?

[3]: https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/en/#packaging