New maintainer experience

Hi all,

Following my messages on the "The Death of Java Packages" thread on
this list(1), Ankur Shina suggested to me to give a go at being a
package maintainer and let the mailing list know how it goes.

I hope this to be a constructive and helful way to help get more people
onboard.

My first step was to go to "Collection maintaners"(2) and check the
"Preparation". Most steps was already done (bugzilla account, fedora
account, join mailing list, ...) so the next step was to find some
software, to get a view of what is needed right now.

I pointed my browser to  the orphaned packages that need new
maintainers(3) page, as it seems the most appropriate for the task, and
it gave me some guidelines and a link to the "Lists of Orphan and
Retired Packages"(4) where I found a 500 response.

I have informed the webmaster at fedoraproject.org email address of the
issue.

Meanwhile I went for other preparation steps as I was asked to join
some mailing lists, devel (already on it), package-announces, devel-
announce, package-review, packaging. At the lists suscription page (5)
I was asked to log in, tried with  fedora account, but that did not
worked, so I guess the hyperkitty account is not linked to the fedora
account system.
,
AnywayI put my email address in the suscribe form and joined the
mailing lists.

Then I went to read again the guidelines (6). It's a 68 sections
document, so seems a bit daunting. I went to the "Naming Guidelines"
section and it was a 141,600 words page.

I am sure an abridged version for newcomers would be really helpful.

It going to take a while to go through that document.

Then I went to the package review status page (7) to get a look at the
review proccess and I found a bit shocking the first package from
review seems to be lurking around since 2015 and the guy still did not
found an sponsor. May be I did not understood what was going, but that
alone would be enought to demotivate many folk around. If you think
it's going to be 6 years to get sponsored and submit a package, is
somewhat easy to back down being a packager at Fedora.

So, that was so far my first couple of hours as a wannabe package
maintainer.Not that bad, but somewhat rough.

Now I am going to setup a build system, and go ahead with the package
review status page to learn a bit more about the review proccess, but
going through the documentation will most likely eat most of my time
those days.

If you find this thread useful, I will continue to describe my
journey., otherwise please let me know and I will keep it to myself.

By the way not on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join nor at
https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/ there exists a packager role. I guess
this is on purpose, but it doesn't helps to recruit people.

Thanks for your time.

(1) h
ttps://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/4EHBACT4I263R4QF75HB3DUJWWANGHAS/
(2)