Re: The Death of Java (packages)

On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 18:47:37 +0200, Iago Rubio wrote:
> On Sat, 2021-08-14 at 09:04 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > I think there's some idea to rescue here. I agree that adopting
> > orphaned packages can be harder than it seems, but OTOH, it's a task
> > that has big benefits for the community. In the past, the recommended
> > way to become a packager, and the way that had the easiest process,
> > was to add a new package. This made a lot of sense when the distro
> > was
> > smaller and there were always new things that could be reasonably
> > added. Nowadays, we either have most upstream projects packaged, or
> > they are very big and complex to package, or have many dependencies,
> > or legal issues, or there just isn't that much need to have them
> > packaged. And all other things being equal, I it's better to have one
> > package maintained continuously, than a package maintained for some
> > time and then dropped, and another package maintained. While we may
> > have a constant of 1 package maintained, the second case disappoints
> > users.
> >
> > tl;dr: I think we should change the guidelines [1] to explicitly
> > recommend opening a pull request for an orphaned package as one of
> > the
> > ways. Maybe even describe it first. And describe the steps that need
> > to be done in detail, so that it's easy to unexperienced folks to
> > follow.
> >

> I can feel the pain of Stephen, as I went through something like that
> some years ago, and was quite frustrating.
>
> I was at that time main developer of a small project that was on every
> distro, and I was a Fedora user.
>
> I went ahead to build the rpm for fedora and got some tips about how to
> improve the spec but I was never able to get an sponsor, and was told
> the spec was not fit for Fedora.
>
> In the meantime another user grabbed the spec and sources from
> project's csv and submited it as his first package for review.
>
> He got an sponsor right away and became the maintainer of the package,
> without changing a line of what I had in csv.

That's very odd. The guidelines remain the same for all of us. So a spec
that didn't pass a review the first time should not pass the review
again without changes.

> It was really frustrating ... to the point I've never submited another
> package for review.
>
> A better - or more clear - way to become a package maintaner would
> help.

> Some of us would like to help, but can't find a clear way to do it.

I think we're always open to suggestions. So if you have any, please do
share them with us.

Sponsorship to the packager group is based on trust---trust that the
candidate knows the packaging pipeline and guidelines well enough. How
individual sponsors come about trusting candidates is quite a personal
thing I guess, but generally submitting good packages for review and
showing the understanding of guidelines by doing reviews is quite
sufficient.

That is not the only way, though. Co-maintaining, pull requests,
personal relationships are all ways of earning community trust, as
documented here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group

This was recently developed (last few weeks!) as a centralised place to
look for sponsors:
https://docs.pagure.org/fedora-sponsors/

I don't think it's been added to all the necessary docs yet, but it will
soon.

--
Thanks,
Regards,