Re: The Death of Java (packages)

Okay,
So to become a packager you have to
 - Get someone to sponsor you as a packager
 - Review existing packages for others
 - take over an orphaned package
 - introduce a package to Fedora  Linux that needs to get approval to
be packaged
 - some other criteria I forgot after reading so many linked documents

I tried to "take" an orphaned package ... can't not a packager, so I
tried to do a review, and even though I appear to be part of the group,
I couldn't even access the review build because apparently I don't have
the rights.

My point is yes, it is requiring effort and it should but not to the
extent of stonewalling contributions, and largely because the
guidelines are confusing, it is a bit like reading a hand drawn map
while driving IMO.

So, back to orphaned packages, if a person from the community is signed
up, signed the CA, the CoC, is a member of the appropriate groups, that
person should be able to volunteer to take on orphaned packages, at
least on a trila basis till they need no handholding. The deesire to
contribute should be the bar to contribute is my point. If technical
requirements are not being met, then they would be removed as packager
and basically timed out for a specific time till they get the
opportunity to try packaging again. However, if they succeed, then
great for all, more contributors, less workload across the board. I
understand that RPM packaging is a complex process, and creating Fedora
Linux is a large task, but for new contributors how are they to learn
the process, if the gate keepers are too efficient?

Regards,
and still hoping to be a packager .... someday....

Stephen