Re: The Death of Java (packages)

Jack Frost wrote:
> >I tried to "take" an orphaned package ... can't not a packager, so I
> >tried to do a review, and even though I appear to be part of the group,
> >I couldn't even access the review build because apparently I don't have
> >the rights.

[I think this is a misunderstanding. There are no private builds in
Fedora infra. Anyone (even without logging in) should be able to access
any build. What was the build that you couldn't access?]

> >My point is yes, it is requiring effort and it should but not to the
> >extent of stonewalling contributions, and largely because the
> >guidelines are confusing, it is a bit like reading a hand drawn map
> >while driving IMO.

Yeah, I think the sponsorship process, with unclear and unequal rules
is one of the most antiquated parts of Fedora.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 01:57:15PM -0400, Ben Beasley wrote:
> In my opinion, rescuing orphaned packages tends to be one of the
> harder packaging tasks. Many packages are orphaned for lack of time,
> so they often have lingering obsolete practices that ought to be
> brought into compliance with current guidelines. Many others are
> orphaned because they have problems the previous packager found too
> difficult, time-consuming, or frustrating to fix. Working on
> orphaned packages can be a good way to learn quickly and a great way
> to contribute, but I think new packagers are likely to need more
> mentoring for these packages, not less.

I think there's some idea to rescue here. I agree that adopting
orphaned packages can be harder than it seems, but OTOH, it's a task
that has big benefits for the community. In the past, the recommended
way to become a packager, and the way that had the easiest process,
was to add a new package. This made a lot of sense when the distro was
smaller and there were always new things that could be reasonably
added. Nowadays, we either have most upstream projects packaged, or
they are very big and complex to package, or have many dependencies,
or legal issues, or there just isn't that much need to have them
packaged. And all other things being equal, I it's better to have one
package maintained continuously, than a package maintained for some
time and then dropped, and another package maintained. While we may
have a constant of 1 package maintained, the second case disappoints
users.

tl;dr: I think we should change the guidelines [1] to explicitly
recommend opening a pull request for an orphaned package as one of the
ways. Maybe even describe it first. And describe the steps that need
to be done in detail, so that it's easy to unexperienced folks to
follow.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group#Convincing_someone_to_sponsor_you

Zbyszek