Re: The Javapocalypse is Monday

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 5:56 PM Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2021-06-03 at 15:30 -0600, Jerry James wrote:
> I've just been looking through my packager-dashboard page.  A
> depressingly large chunk of my packages are going to become
> unbuildable on Monday when a bunch of orphaned Java packages are
> retired.  I think a lot of us are going to be affected.  In my case,
> there are quite a few non-Java packages involved (due to the parser
> generators antlr3 and antlr4-project), primarily OCaml and python
> packages.  Mikolaj has a huge pile of work on his shoulders, so don't
> take this as criticism of him.
>
> Here are some of the pain points:
> - log4j will be retired, which will break ant.
> - hamcrest2 will be retired, which will break apache-commons-lang3,
> which will break bcel, which will also break ant.
> - google-gson and javassist will be retired, which will break
> reflections, which will break jna, which is used by about a dozen
> packages, including bcel.

I may take these 4

That would be great :D My package (Tomcat) still uses ant to build, so if you could save it from retirement that would be great. I don't have bandwidth to take on any additional packages right now, but I don't mind being a co-maintainer if you feel you need it.

> - maven-install-plugin will be retired, which will break tycho, which
> will break eclipse.

Eclipse for me may fall, I already use eclipse installer from
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

> - args4j will be retired, which will break jacoco and jgit.
> - maven-invoker-plugin and several of its dependencies
> (maven-doxia-sitetools, plexus-velocity, maven-reporting-api,
> maven-script-interpreter, and maven-reporting-impl) will be retired,
> which will break xml-maven-plugin, which is used by eclipse.
> - jakarta-el and jakarta-server-pages will be retired, which will
> break eclipse.
> - aopalliance will be retired, which will break maven-native.
> - jdependency will be retired, which will break maven-shade-plugin,
> which is used by openjfx8, a dependency of java-1.8.0-openjdk.
> - apache-ivy will be retired, which will break javapackages-tools.

I can also take these two jdependency and  apache-ivy .

maybe I should also take maven-invoker-plugin .

what do you think ?

> I have packages that depend directly on the following, so I am
> willing
> to adopt them if nobody more competent shows up (although there is no
> point in taking ant-contrib if ant is going to be broken anyway):
> - ant-contrib
> - jakarta-common-httpclient
> - jakarta-ws-rs
> - maven-invoker-plugin
> - spec-version-maven-plugin
>
> I introduced the jansi1 and jline2 packages so that jansi could be
> moved to 2.x and jline to 3.x, but I don't actually maintain any
> packages that need the old versions.  I would like to give them away
> to someone who needs them, but note that you will need to grab
> jansi-native as well, before Monday!
>
> Has anybody already done something about any of these packages (and
> my
> packager-dashboard page just hasn't caught up yet)?  Is anybody
> planning to do something about any of these packages before they are
> retired on Monday?

I've dropped all the direct dependencies that I had which were being orphaned, so the only outstanding problems I have are ant (which may be addressed by Sérgio) and javapackages-tools, which I'm a bit confused about. It seems that the latest build relies on java-11, not java-8 so not sure why it's showing up that way in the dep map. It seems that the map isn't generated often, so maybe it's just outdated?

--
Sérgio M. B.