Re: F35 Change: Make btrfs the default file system for Fedora Cloud (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mon, 2021-05-31 at 15:19 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:

> > Am 28.05.2021 um 23:08 schrieb Chris Murphy <
> > lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > > ……
> >
> > All I mean by this is to push back on the idea that the proposal
> > for
> > Cloud translates into delaying the decision for Server by 5 or 10
> > years. Not that Server folks should escalate their discussion.
>
> What I originally meant was the idea to discuss / explore
> opportunities to coordinate or join the efforts of Server WG and
> Cloud WG and to better aline both.
Until that happens (and if the Server WG cares about this maybe that
should be formally proposed to the Cloud WG?) - it probably does not
make sense to expect that Cloud development be held back by anything
the Server WG might want to do.

> But that idea seems to me got silently out of attention over time. We
> discussed that an the beginning of March, Server WG picked it up
> again at the end of March, and there was a brief mention in Cloud WG
> in early April. Since then there has been silence.

Do you have a reference for that? Would love to follow that discussion

> I see the invigorating effect of an adversarial process. However, I
> worry that the long-term programmatic aspects will be neglected. And
> it emphasizes very much the differentiating and the separating.
> That’s fine in a legal process, but not in a community process.

Could you clarify what you mean here? There's a lot of open source
communities that develop over time using something similar to the
Fedora Change Process. e.g. Python with PEP, Rust with RFC and MCP
(Major Change Proposals), even Swift with Evolutions.

> And part of such a programmatic discussion would also be the
> exploration of common features of server and cloud, of possible
> adaptations and synergy effects, which was discussed at the beginning
> of the year and planned after Dusty's return. All that is gone now as
> a result of that action, virtually in an "overnight coup d'état". And
> this was (and is) my argument, not various single technical
> properties, advantages or disadvantages of BTRFS. And that is what I
> regret.

Such a high level conversation would be nice, but again, until that
happens (on devel/server/cloud mailing lists), and there's a consensus
about how Server and Cloud would work together going forward, how is a
Change Proposal targeted at Cloud usage after months of conversation an
"overnight coup d'état"?

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim