Re: F35 Change: Make btrfs the default file system for Fedora Cloud (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 3:52 PM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 25.05.2021 um 19:03 schrieb Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FedoraCloudBtrfsByDefault
>
> == Summary ==
>
> For cloud installs of Fedora, we want to provide advanced file system
> features to users in a transparent fashion. Thus, we are changing the
> file system for the Cloud Edition to Btrfs so we can leverage its
> features and capabilities to improve the quality of experience for
> Cloud users.

> == Detailed Description ==
>
> Fedora Cloud Edition will switch to using Btrfs for its images. The
> configuration for the Cloud Edition will match the setup used on the
> desktop variants, as this has been very well-tested with production
> deployments across multiple Fedora Linux releases now.
>
> This includes the same subvolume layout that is used on the desktop
> variants [[Changes/BtrfsByDefault|as introduced in Fedora Linux 33]],
> as well as transparent Zstd compression
> [[Changes/BtrfsTransparentCompression|as introduced in Fedora Linux
> 34]].
>

> Wonder why a cloud image would just have a special affinity for a desktop system. Who runs their desktop in the cloud?
>
> And there is a reason why the partition layout of server and desktop differs.

The partition layout differed specifically to maximize available
space. With subvolumes, this problem doesn't exist, since space
allocation is flexible by default across all subvolumes in a
partition. So the same model works totally fine for both desktop and
server.

> == Release Notes ==
>
> The default file system on the cloud is now Btrfs, following the
> desktop change in Fedora Linux 33. Fedora Server, IoT, and CoreOS are
> still specifically excluded.
>

> It wasn't long ago that the plan was to better align cloud and server.

That's still a goal, but Server Edition has more complex needs to
address before we could do it there by default. Since the storage
needs for Cloud Edition are tremendously simpler, we can do it here
first and iterate on getting things to the point that we could propose
it for Server Edition.