Re: F35 Change: Make btrfs the default file system for Fedora Cloud (System-Wide Change proposal)

> Am 25.05.2021 um 23:20 schrieb Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 5:05 PM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> As to my knowledge it’s not about space (there is no difference in this respect), it's about strikt separation of system and user data, containment in the event of a file system failure, and opportunities and simplification of recovery.
>>

> Cloud images never had such separation. It was always one big ext4
> partition. With Btrfs, we can introduce subvolumes so user data can be
> trivially managed separately without losing the benefits of a single
> pool of storage.

That’s the difference: As a server sysadmin I would rather consider potential risks of a single pool of storage.   :-)

> The net effect of the subvolume setup is that people who had
> individual user data on the OS volume could now cleanly isolate that
> from the rest of the data on the OS volume without worrying about
> space contention.

What I get from the controversial discussion about BTRFS is that there is doubt about how really clean that "cleanly isolate" is, at least compared to LVM. But if important data is (supposed to be) on additional external storage, that's perfect.

>> That’s fine for me. Practically, this means putting that plan on hold for the next 10 or so Fedora releases.
>>

> Why would we wait 5 years? That seems like a weird overreaction here.

No overreaction, just a little sense of reality. I see a lot of concerns about stability and reliability of BTRFS and a widespread reluctance to move servers to it. In any case, nothing in the near future.

> Fedora Cloud was never set up as a "Fedora Server" lookalike in the
> first place. That's why it's a distinct Edition.
> . . .
> If you want to do an "easy" Fedora Server as a VM on classical KVM
> hosts, you're probably better off with using virt-install[2].

It is not me. It was Matthew (and others) who introduced the concept of Fedora Server Edition and Cloud Base Image as a kind of two sides of a coin. And related to this is the idea of uniting Fedora Server and Cloud image working groups. Stimulated by this, I evaluated a bit the practicability of this concept and wrote an article in Fedora Magazine about Cloud Base Image as VM in Fedora Server, by the way.

Regarding that idea, the switch to BTRFS tends to be a step in the wrong direction.