Re: F35 Change: Make btrfs the default file system for Fedora Cloud (System-Wide Change proposal)

> Am 28.05.2021 um 11:43 schrieb Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 3:45 AM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Nevertheless, coordination and cooperation is at least very desirable (in fact, indispensable).  And is is not just about who is paying the bills. Beyond this crude economic dimension, Fedora benefits from the reputation of being upstream for RHEL (and vice versa, for sure). A defiant "we can do as we like" is not helpful
>
> Being upstream for RHEL also means pushing forward and demonstrating
> that things *can* work better in a different way. If we didn't,
> there's no way for RHEL to change. We bring no value as upstream if we
> don't actually *do* things.

Agreed. And yet it requires coordination and discussion, in a transparent and comprehensible manner.

>> Cloud Working Group did not happened for years, then there were a few short, sparsely-attended and content-dry meetings. A range of existing problems, starting with lack of documentation. A hesitancy to make any change currently to the cloud artifacts (expressed by Dusty Mabe at that March meeting, 3). And then out of nowhere the file system conversion, a very central element. To me, it seems like a playground for missionaries to gain ground, certainly not like a considerate and methodical long-term design.
>>

> Actually, the Cloud WG members had been talking about this ad-hoc
> since all the desktop variants switched last year. The ticket[4] was
> filed around the same time the desktop change was proposed. Dusty,
> Joe, James, and myself had been talking about it outside of meetings
> since. David became interested after the Nest talk about Btrfs[5].
> That conversation started again after my talk on Btrfs at DevConf.cz
> (the recording has not been published still, sadly). So this has been
> a long time coming.
>
> [4]: https://pagure.io/cloud-sig/issue/308
> [5]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHjhouSxIrc

I would have expected at least a public announcement on the cloud mailing list including an invitation for discussion at an IRC meeting and - for such a far-reaching matter - a subsequent voting.

But I'm not involved in the Cloud SIG. So let's close the discussion.