Re: F35 Change: Drop the the "Allow SSH root login with password" option from the installer GUI (Self-Contained Change proposal)

Hi,

On 5/14/21 1:05 AM, Juha Tuomala wrote:

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 18:50:33 EEST PGNet Dev wrote:
On 5/13/21 10:48 AM, Juha Tuomala wrote:
Virtual machine installation is hopefully a special use case and majority
of installations are bare metal end users.

hardly.

here,

Sure. But this is devel list. Are developers themselves the target audience?
:) Hopefully not. Is it defined somewhere?

I would certainly enjoy the polished user interface that normal users require.

Yes, it would be helpful know to know the userbase better, but I would hazard a guess that the percentage of non IT related people _installing_ fedora is a tiny fraction of the userbase. I don't think that is unique to linux, not many mac/windows users have seen the osx/windows installer
either.

I would suggest then the point of the installer (vs just a random disk image, or pre-installed machine) is to give the user choices about the systemm behavior, be that the partitioning, DE, system services, etc. Sure having a streamlined "just do it" mode is helpful, but its a shortcomming of the installer if the first thing I have to do with a newly installed machine is reverse a lot of the defaults it set. Sadly I find myself doing this more and more with fedora, as i'm not given the choice to not to use zram, or avoid starting iscsi, I have to manually disable those things. So, while zram and iscsi have their place, its not in my environment.

for that, a simple password option is more than sufficient.
again, why not simply 'leave it be'.

To make it clear, I agree. Unix/Linux has always been about options and
flexibility. And hence having option to pull the root's existing public key
somewhere easier is just good progress.

Tuju