Re: F35 Change: Drop the the "Allow SSH root login with password" option from the installer GUI (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thursday, 13 May 2021 15:11:19 EEST Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> > Make a plugin interface for adding additional methods to obtain public
> > keys as there are a lot different sources for those. Fedora itself has
> > tools for PKI and public key based security and it would be quite low
> > hanging fruit to fill the gap between those components, in cases like
> > this.
>
> In this case before doing advanced cloud based things,

PKI nor LDAP have nothing to do with "clouds"  Those were created at 1970s
and are still in use. L stands for lightweight, could not be further from
clouds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_infrastructure#History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Directory_Access_Protocol#History
> These companies introduced the concept of directory services to information
> technology and computer networking, their input culminating in the
> comprehensive X.500 specification,[6] a suite of protocols produced by the
> International Telecommunication Union (ITU) in the 1980s.

> let's try to also have a simple "paste your key here" textarea,

Having a plugin interface in place, the first plugin can be the "text area",
the simplest of all.

Having base64 coded carbage in the end user interface is another question, I'm
pretty sure that whoever decided ssh pubkeyformat, did not intend it to be
used like this. Hence there is a command

% ssh-copy-id
Usage: /usr/bin/ssh-copy-id [-h|-?|-f|-n] [-i [identity_file]] [-p port] [-F
alternative ssh_config file] [[-o <ssh -o options>] ...] [user@]hostname
        -f: force mode -- copy keys without trying to check if they are
already installed
        -n: dry run    -- no keys are actually copied
        -h|-?: print this help

Those plugins would be written by someone else, outside the Anaconda codebase.
That's why the only needed is to define the plugin interface.

> which is the only sane method I would want to use when
> creating a virtual machine.

Virtual machine installation is hopefully a special use case and majority of
installations are bare metal end users.

Tuju