Re: F34 gdm login prompt goes crazy when a fingerprint reader with no enrolled prints is present

Hi,

On 3/5/21 4:17 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2021 at 03:05:00PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>>   mcelog.service                               loaded active running Machine Check Exception Logging Daemon
>> This is another one for which it is questionable to have it running, or is this a machine with
>> ECC RAM ? And even then I'm not sure if it adds a lot of value, or if just like smartd it
>> just logs some stuff into syslog (where normal users won't see it).
>
> I disagree that those logs are useless -- I often help normal users, and
> running commands to look back in the logs for problems is a common
> diagnostic step. This could be better, of course.

But for MCE exceptions, specifically ECC errors I would expect the kernel to log these
through dmesg anyways and then the mcelog service has very little added value IMHO
(I have no experience with machines with ECC RAM).

Esp. given that ECC RAM is something which most Fedora Workstation users won't
have, so having this included / enabled by default feels wrong IMHO.

smartd at least has the fact that if it does not run nothing else is asking the
disk for its smart reports going for it (and that it may tickle bugs in some
disks, which otherwise would not be tickled, going against it).

Note I still think smartd is of questionable value too, esp. as long as any
messages which it sends out only end up in the journal and are note pushed
to the user inside the UI in some way.  As for the argument that it sends
email if local email delivery is setup, well we don't set that up OOTB and
this is about OOTB configuraiton, someone who can setup local email can
also do a "dnf install smartd".

>> So given that I got a couple of "go for it" reactions and that I was
>> already toying with the idea anyways I might actually try to make such
>> a spin happen.
>>
>> The biggest problem for doing such a spin is finding the time for it...
>>
>> Are there any people who would be interested in working on / co-maintaining
>> such a spin with me ?
>
> I am interested in it happening but can't sign up for more stuff. :)

I know the feeling.

> It seems like this kind of parallels the Minimization objective (which
> focuses on package dependencies). That's kind of mothballed right now (I
> think because Adam is working on RHEL 9 stuff?) and I wouldn't want to
> overload that more, but maybe there's some kind of useful connection?

This is more about runtime overhead, where as the Minimization objective
focuses more on pure disk-space consumption. Sure, there is some overlap
but not much.

Regards,

Hans