Re: F34 gdm login prompt goes crazy when a fingerprint reader with no enrolled prints is present

Hi,

On 3/4/21 5:38 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 at 11:21, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>

>     > It has very limited functionality by design. If you do not want to use SSSD, you can keep using sssd profile and just disable the service. It will keep working. The minimal profile is there for users that also want to remove sssd packages to safe resources, but in that case you probably don't care about fingerprint and smartcards either.
>
>     The problem is that IMHO having sssd enabled by default is really the wrong thing to do for like 95% of our users and defaults should be the settings which are best for most / almost all users.
>
>     This is really just a symptom of a much bigger problem though, which is that we simply have way too much services / daemon's starting up by default. The output of "ps aux" after a default Fedora workstation install is just way way too long. Once upon a time Linux users used to make fun of Windows with all its background processes in the mean time a default Fedora WS install has gotten worse then Windows wrt background processes. Any of these are totally unnecessary for most of our users.
>

> I am not sure about this. What services are you seeing which are extraneous? I do see ps aux is going on miles and miles, but of the 218 processes I see from startup time on my workstation, I see 165 of them are kernel processes versus user space ones. Of the remaining 53, most of them seem hardware oriented (irqbalance, bluetooth, modemmanager, smartd, udisksd, upowerd, etc). Looking at the rest we have about 20 processes which seem outside of 'I don't want my laptop to work with modern hardware' and that would be abrt, atd/crond/cupsd, packagekitd, colord, and the sssd processes. So while ps auxww has a lot more going on in it, I actually see a lot fewer extraneous processes than I remember from my Fedora 18 days.

20 processes is still a lot when e.g. booting from an eMMC or a sdcard those add a significant amount of time to the startupo time.

Also a bunch of what you call hw-related processes are not really necessary. E.g. irqbalance is really only needed on multi-CPU-socket or otherwise exotic systems. Modemmanager really should only run when there actually is a modem (it should be hw-activated, but that is easier said then done), smartd is not really useful, it logs smart issues in syslog/the journal but unless someone is actively monitoring those logs it really does not have much added value, etc.

But yes your list of 20 processes, and then specifically abrt (which really should be strictly event driven/activated and should not be running all the time) and atd/crond are the ones which I'm talking about.

Those + a bunch of processes which GNOME adds on top. E.g. a whole bunch of evolution processes even though I'm not using the calendar integration, see:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/3466

But also gnome-software which is running by default to provide a search-provider, which is a nice feature but the RAM consumption really is too high for that feature on systems with less then 2G of RAM (I know the gnome-software guys have been working on reducing the footprint, but it still is quite large).

Etc. just for fun do an ls of /etc/xdg/autostart with a default workstation install.

Each one of these processes is there for a reason and many of them are small or exit relatively quickly after having been started but together they really add up.

IIRC a default GNOME workstation install consumes about 700-800MB of RAM when logged into the desktop on a 1G RAM system. After I've done a bunch of hacks / tweaks to remove a long list of unnecessary (1) processes I have it down to around 400MB of RAM.

Note I'm not trying to blame anyone here; and especially not the authors/maintainers of the mentioned packages, but I do wish that we (the Fedora project) could make some time to go over this list and try to stop a whole bunch of programs / daemons from always starting when that is (IMHO) not really necessary. I would really like to see Fedora to become somewhat more lean / go on a diet here, which is something which I think would benefit everyone.

Given that I can halve the base processes RAM set with some hacks I think that it is fair to say that there are still way too much things starting by default.
I have actually been considering doing a Fedora workstation light spin for budget x86 machines with 1G / 2G of RAM and an eMMC.

Regards,

Hans

1) I do realize that what is unnecessary or not is somewhat in the eye of the beholder.