Re: F34 gdm login prompt goes crazy when a fingerprint reader with no enrolled prints is present

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 9:46 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >     https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/merge_requests/1683 <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/merge_requests/1683>
> > seems like this is already in updates.  you definitely have the gnome-shell 40.beta installed?  could be a pam_fprintd is returning a different error code than expected for no enrolled fingerprint
So we've been investigating this in the above upstream link.

There is a case where pam_fprintd is returning a code we aren't
expecting, but, it shouldn't ever happen :-)

pam_fprintd checks up front if there are no enrolled fingerprints and
then returns the correct error code in that case.

You guys are apparently getting past that part and failing later.
Almost as if the prints were there and then a split second later
disappeared.

One theory is there are files present, but they're unreadable. Maybe
because of selinux?

Can you try in permissive mode, also output ls -lRZ /var/lib/fprint

> Any debugging options which I can enable somewhere to show the pam_fprintd error ?
you can put "debug" on the ends of the lines that say pam_fprintd.so
in /etc/pam.d/fingerprint-auth
that should make the journal more chatty.

--Ray