F34 gdm login prompt goes crazy when a fingerprint reader with no enrolled prints is present

Hi Benjamin, Ray,

I noticed this problem while dogfooding F34, I'm fully up2date as of today.

Today's gdm update did help in making the problem more clear.

What happens is that as soon as I press enter / click my main user in gdm,
the password entry box keeps getting updated (and clearing its content)
every 1 - 2 seconds with a "failed to authenticate with fingerprint"
(or something like that) briefly showing below the password entry box
every time it gets cleared.

After a non-fixed amount of tries it stops doing this and only then I
can successfully login. The same happens on the lock screen of gnome-shell,
except that there it never stops doing this.

The "failed to authenticate with fingerprint" is new as of todays
gdm update, before this it was just "failed to authenticate". Now that
I know fprintd is involved I've masked fprintd and that works around this.

As said I'm running a fully up2date F34 on a Thinkpad X1 carbon 8th gen,
with the "Linux" fingerprint firmware installed by fwupd. I don't think
I have ever enrolled a fingerprint, which might be part of the problem,
but in that case it should really just act as if there is no fingerprint
reader present.

The login dialog / fprintd should certainly _not_ repeatedly show the
error IMHO even showing it once would be wrong here, but it would be
a big improvement.

Let me know if you need any logs, want a bugzilla for this, or if there
is anything else which I can do to help debug this.

Regards,

Hans