Re: systemd-resolved fallback DNS servers: usability vs. GDPR

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 11:29:21AM +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> >>I understand your willingness to apply the same rules for multiple
> >>options in the config files owned by systemd codebase. This, however, is
> >>a content pushed out by external parties, not a part of systemd
> >>proper.
> >
> >It's a configuration file *owned* by resolved. it's its private
> >property, with defined and documented syntax. if other tools make
> >changes to that config files, but they better follow the documented
> >syntax then.
> >
> >I'd be a lot more open to a more relaxed parser if this was some
> >"foreign" config file, not owned by resolved. i.e. /etc/resolv.conf is
> >owned by glibc and is maybe even more generic than that. There it's
> >our duty to to accept even the worst formatted files.
> >
> >But resolved.conf is inherently only ours, we define the contents and
> >are the sole consumer of it. Hence I think we don't have to be and
> >shouldn't be so lenient, so that the variances remain smaller.
> >
> >I mean, I#d consider the original issue here a simple bug. The
> >question is simply where to fix it: in cloud-init or in systemd. Given
> >that cloud-init is responsible for it, and given that either way
> >there's exactly one project to fix I think it should be cloud-init
> >that is fixed.
>
> Clearly, what happened in the cases described in this thread, is that
> some other configuration file was imported into resolved state and
> parsing the content that came from that import was failing.
>
> This is what I think an issue on systemd-resolved side. See below for
> cloud-init part.
>

> >>Digital Ocean updates pushed with cloud-init use. Cloud-init does not
> >>have any native support for systemd-resolved. It means it writes
> >>something that systemd-resolved imports into own state. I would argue
> >>that your arguments for systemd-wide configuration rules do not apply
> >>here. Either you'd need to fix cloud-init or allow for a variance in
> >>input data that comes to systemd-resolved from third parties.
> >
> >Hmm, cloud-init has no direct support for resolved.conf? But how is it
> >then that that file is modified? I don't get it?
>
> https://github.com/canonical/cloud-init/search?q=resolved.conf --
> nothing handles resolved.conf.
>
> It is done by something else after parsing cloud-init provided content.
> For example, on my Digital Ocean's node which is not affected by this
> bug I have /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 which was written by
> cloud-init.
>
> The network scripts update is done by
> cloudinit/net/sysconfig.py:Renderer._render_subnets() method.
> Additionally, render_network_state() writes down NetworkManager
> configuration snippet.
>
> Does systemd-resolved parse any of those?

No.

It seems DigitalOcean added *custom code* [1] to write /etc/systemd/resolved.conf,
and in *that new code* they messed up the syntax. Considering that it's
new code, it seems most reasonable to just fix that.

[1] https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/fedora-33-how-to-persist-dns-settings-via-etc-resolv-conf?comment=96290

Zbyszek