Re: systemd-resolved fallback DNS servers: usability vs. GDPR

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021, Lennart Poettering wrote:

And yeah, call me a hypocrite, but if I have the choice between having
no Internet at all or using some public DNS servers for DNS, and
leaking a tiny bit of information to those DNS server providers then I
am definitely preferring to have Internet, thank you very much.

In practise, this is not often the case. Almost always, the network will
provide working DNS via DHCP. If not, then the network is severely
broken and hacking up a DNS workaround is likely to fail anyway. Like,
you can't get past hotspot/captive portal.

Newly installed and booted server/cloud images should _really_ use the
DHCP obtained DNS servers. It is very likely their correct functioning
depends on local DNS zones and local resources pointed to by DNS not
available when bypassing the local DNS for public DNS services. It is
also likely that those networks even restrict DNS to only allow their
own DNS servers to be used for security and compliance reasons, and
using public DNS would be a violation of network policy.

The scenario of roaming laptops/phones is completely different from
this. Which is why I have argued for a long time now that
systemd-resolved should not be installed by default on servers or
containers. It adds complexity without any real gain in these
deployments and makes DNS issues harder to troubleshoot.

One could even go further: the privacy level using those public DNS
servers might actually be higher than using the DHCP-provided ones in
many cases, simple because we can use DoT on the former (admittedly
not yet the default in resolved though, but hopefully soon), but
almost never can on the latter, and what's worse the latter are
usually provided by crappy edge networks like Internet Cafés and such
where the fact we send stuff unencrypted is just awful.

I agree with this, but the caveat here is that the solution should take
into account isolating the hotspot/signon network from the OS, and not
mix that into your caches when you later bring up more private/trustworthy
DNS servers. But as I said, I'm fine with the default of
systemd-resolved here, although I would strongly prefer to be able to
not install or remove the package for advanced users like me with
specific DNS and DNSSEC requirements that cannot have systemd-resolved
interfering with the system.

Now, Fedora made its choice here, and I'll accept that, but I still
think it's a bad one, that trades a misunderstood concept of privacy
against a major step forward in userfriendliness. i.e. I am not sure
it's a good choice to limit Fedora's userspace needlessly to people
who can fix their DNS configuration. It's a pretty tiny elite group of
people to be in after all...

It seems to have a price of network administrators having their DNS
broken in a string of different ways resulting in filed bugs at
systemd upstream that takes years to get addressed. It can be argued
that this price is too high for the feature of helping nontechnical
laptop users that stumbled into a broken network.

Meanwhile, applications like firefox are absorbing DNS anyway, adding
another layer in the fight over who gets to configure and process DNS:
DHCP, systemd-resolved, NetworkManager, Gnome, or applications.

(Oh, and I don't appreciate those people at all, who claim that
"resolved sends all DNS lookups" to Google because it's a lie, we
never did that, we only did that in case no better DNS configuration
was available, i.e. as *last* *resort*, one step before giving up
entirely).

This seems contradicting? The last resort method only sends all DNS
queries to google as a last resort? It still means that in 100% of
the cases that the last resort is activated, it sends all traffic to
google? Furthermore, since it hides that this is happening, once
the network is broken, it never gets fixed, and thus leads to the
fallback always kicking in.

If anything, these recurring discussions, and long turnover of
systemd-resolverd bugs show that systemd-resolved should be a choice
and not being pushed as mandatory. And I am fine with saying that for
Workstation or Desktop installs, we lean to the side of userfriendly
and give them systemd-resolved. But it has no place as a default
binary or service on servers, containers or cloud images launched
within actively managed networks.

Paul