Re: systemd-resolved fallback DNS servers: usability vs. GDPR

On Mi, 24.02.21 22:08, Alexander Bokovoy (abokovoy@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I think one of the issues reported in the discussion you mention was
> that systemd-resolved considered invalid a DNS= line where addresses
> were separated by a comma rather than space. Can systemd-resolved be
> improved to allow common separators like both space and comma?

I am not a fan of such needless ambiguity, and it's not going to
retroactively fix the original reporter's configuration that has now
been fixed anyway... Moreover, across the systemd codebase in
configuration files we so far stuck to using mostly whitespace for
separating multiple values on the same config option line.

The thing is: separator characters end up being used for various other
purposes sooner or later. For example the DNS= lines in resolved.conf
already uses:

1. Dots (".") for separating IPV4 address bytes
2. Colons (":") for separating IPv6 address parts, as well as separating
   port numbers from the IP addres
3. Brackets ("[]") for separating ipv6 addresses from the rest of the
   construct
4. Percent ("%") characters to separate interface info from the rest
5. Hash ("#") characters to separate SNI host name specifications

Now, we currently don't use "," and ";" for separators here, but as
these things keep growing we might need them for something soon too.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin