Re: systemd-resolved fallback DNS servers: usability vs. GDPR

On Do, 25.02.21 23:58, Petr Menšík (pemensik@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> No, I don't think so. Anyone who manages the system should have basic
> understanding how to configure it. If not obvious, needs good
> documentation at hand. Extremely high level is not writing lines into
> configuration file in documented format. I think we switched to nano
> editor to make it friendly. Sure, he won't be able to google help from
> the machine. Fortunately, most of us have got smartphone able to google
> almost anything.

I am sorry, but I think we have to agree that we are designing
software for a different group of people. I certainly don't want to
assume a level of Linux expertise from our audience that they all can
reconfigure DNS. I think it's a general problem of developers like us
to assume that everyone has the same level of understanding of our
favourite technology as us. i.e. don't assume that because you know
DNS quite well, everyone else does too, or even just heard of DNS at all...

Note that as I understood it the original reporter's issue wasn't even
caused by concious editing of the configuration file, but was done
automatically by some other tool/copy pasted from elsewhere? i.e. it's
a bit much to expect people to understand enough DNS to fix up stuff
manually that other tools broke for them. And the original reporter
is a seasoned a Linux guy, even.

And the idea that "nano" was a flagship of user friendliness sounds,
…umm… a bit strange to me. I mean, maybe it's not as arcane as
vi, but come on it's admittedly just one step down from there.

> > Hence, it's inherently a *good* thing to have a fallback in place, and
> > I think it's a disserve to users to turn this off, as it makes systems
> > much harder to fix.
> >
> > And yeah, call me a hypocrite, but if I have the choice between having
> > no Internet at all or using some public DNS servers for DNS, and
> > leaking a tiny bit of information to those DNS server providers then I
> > am definitely preferring to have Internet, thank you very much.
>
> But you forgot some decision were made for the user without his
> knowledge or his approval. That is wrong.

We make decisions for our users all the time. *All* *the*
*time*. Fedora is a product of developer decisions.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin