Re: split-DNS, resolvconf on Fedora (OpenVPN related issues)

On 22/02/2021 16:29, Petr Menšík wrote:
Why? I thought about common interface to various DNS cache
implementations for workstations and different VPN providers available.
While I think the best place to direct, which interface resolvers should
handle given domains. resolvconf handles conflicting requests from
different interfaces, when multiple DNS resolver providers are
configured by connection.

Just providing some input from the OpenVPN perspective.

* OpenVPN 3 Linux

OpenVPN 3 Linux [0] since the v10 release provides native
systemd-resolved support.

It is not optimal yet, but we plan to provide full support for split-DNS (only pushed domains will be resolved via the DNS server requested by the VPN server) and exclusive DNS (use only the DNS server pushed by VPN server).

The current implementation will query all DNS servers on all interfaces. This hybrid mode will also be supported.

At the moment I'm not yet decided what should be the default mode, but I'm leaning towards split-DNS - as that provides the least risk for DNS leakage either way. But for some any DNS lookups to the main link is considered a DNS leak as well, so this is highly usage dependent. We are also considering how far the server can go to push for a certain profile - as the use cases for VPN provider side are also very diverse with different requirements.

For the v10+ releases you need to do a little configuration step [1] to enable this support, but we are planning to enable this by default on Fedora 33+. Ubuntu 20.04 will probably also be updated to use it by default. This will most likely happen from the v14 release.

* OpenVPN 2.x

We are also considering to fully embrace the update-systemd-resolved [2] script for the OpenVPN 2.x versions. And will work together with this project to ensure OpenVPN 3 Linux and OpenVPN 2.x will behave a similar as possible.

* NetworkManger and OpenVPN

Outside of that, OpenVPN via NetworkManager will be a different beast to tackle which we have not yet dug into from the OpenVPN project side. From the OpenVPN side, we are not too happy about the current NetworkManager plug-in from a general point of view.

It is good with the graphical interface, but NetworkManager does not fully consider what OpenVPN is capable and restricts its capabilities too much in several areas (like killing the OpenVPN process if the main link disappears; OpenVPN is capable of recovering quite nicely when network recovers). And we have more OpenVPN specific features planned as well, where the NetworkManager can cause more damage - as it does not (and should not) understand how OpenVPN operates.

* DNS updates

If NetworkManager is capable of fully integrating with a unified DNS resolver management which OpenVPN and other updateresolve alternatives could work with would definitely be the best for all of this.

OpenVPN 3 Linux and OpenVPN 2.x can be extended and taught to integrate with various DNS management approaches. systemd-resolved is already on the way, but does not need to be restricted here. But we are very much interested in being involved in such discussions.

[0] <https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/OpenVPN3Linux>
[1] <https://www.mail-archive.com/openvpn-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg20607.html>
[2] <https://github.com/jonathanio/update-systemd-resolved>

--