Re: split-DNS, resolvconf on Fedora (OpenVPN related issues)

On Thu, 2021-02-25 at 11:57 +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 22/02/2021 16:29, Petr Menšík wrote:
> > Why? I thought about common interface to various DNS cache
> > implementations for workstations and different VPN providers
> > available.
> > While I think the best place to direct, which interface resolvers
> > should
> > handle given domains. resolvconf handles conflicting requests from
> > different interfaces, when multiple DNS resolver providers are
> > configured by connection.
>
> Just providing some input from the OpenVPN perspective.
>
> * OpenVPN 3 Linux
>
> OpenVPN 3 Linux [0] since the v10 release provides native
> systemd-resolved support.
>
> It is not optimal yet, but we plan to provide full support for split-
> DNS
> the VPN server) and exclusive DNS (use only the DNS server pushed by
> VPN
> server).
>
> The current implementation will query all DNS servers on all
> interfaces.
>   This hybrid mode will also be supported.
>
> At the moment I'm not yet decided what should be the default mode,
> but
> I'm leaning towards split-DNS - as that provides the least risk for
> DNS
> are also considering how far the server can go to push for a certain
> profile - as the use cases for VPN provider side are also very
> diverse
> with different requirements.
>
> For the v10+ releases you need to do a little configuration step [1]
> Fedora 33+.  Ubuntu 20.04 will probably also be updated to use it by
> default.  This will most likely happen from the v14 release.
>

> * OpenVPN 2.x
>
> We are also considering to fully embrace the update-systemd-resolved
> [2]
> script for the OpenVPN 2.x versions.  And will work together with
> this
> project to ensure OpenVPN 3 Linux and OpenVPN 2.x will behave a
> similar
> as possible.
>

> * NetworkManger and OpenVPN
>
> Outside of that, OpenVPN via NetworkManager will be a different beast
> tackle which we have not yet dug into from the OpenVPN project side.
>  From the OpenVPN side, we are not too happy about the current
> NetworkManager plug-in from a general point of view.
>
> It is good with the graphical interface, but NetworkManager does not
> too much in several areas (like killing the OpenVPN process if the
> main
> link disappears; OpenVPN is capable of recovering quite nicely when
> network recovers).  And we have more OpenVPN specific features
> planned
> as well, where the NetworkManager can cause more damage - as it does
> not
> (and should not) understand how OpenVPN operates.

I'm pretty sure the NM team would be receptive to improvements
especially given new OpenVPN capabilities.

But NM has supported a feature that allows VPN connections to persist
across link changes (the VPN service returns the "can-persist" key in
its IP config response if it knows the underlying service can handle
it). I don't see that exposed/utilized by nm-openvpn, but perhaps it
should be if the connection properties will allow it (eg, if --
keepalive/ping*/whatever is enabled?).

I'm sure they'd accept patches to that effect...

Dan