split-DNS, resolvconf on Fedora

Hi,

I have submitted new package openresolv [1], which provides resolvconf
tool, similar to Debian's resolvconf package.

Why? I thought about common interface to various DNS cache
implementations for workstations and different VPN providers available.
While I think the best place to direct, which interface resolvers should
handle given domains. resolvconf handles conflicting requests from
different interfaces, when multiple DNS resolver providers are
configured by connection.

Current Fedora 33 already has /usr/sbin/resolvconf provided by
systemd-resolved. It provides split-DNS implementation in default Fedora
installation[2]. Problem is this is useful only in case systemd-resolved
service is running and used. When it is disabled, its resolvconf just
fails. But because systemd-resolved does not have its own subpackage,
the daemon can be only disabled, not uninstalled.

My question is, how should dhclient or vpn provider check resolvconf is
installed and enabled? It usually checks [ -x /usr/sbin/resolvconf ] in
Debian from shell, but because resolvconf is always present on Fedora,
it cannot work. Unlike Debian, where systemd does not provide
resolvconf. How could it therefore check, how should be /etc/resolv.conf
updated? How would dhclient know, when to rewrite /etc/resolv.conf
itself or when to use resolvconf for coordinated changes?

I think Network Manager should manage DNS domains list per connection
IMO. But in cases VPN provider is not configured via NM or NM is not
even used, I think resolvconf is good alternative to set and restore the
system's /etc/resolv.conf, when any VPN service is started. Only
systemd-resolved and dnsmasq can support split-DNS from NM.

openresolv is written only in shell, has no other dependencies. It could
support multiple DNS implementations as a local cache[3]. It currently
breaks systemd's symlink /usr/sbin/resolvconf, it uses alternatives
links. But systemd package does not use it, so after uninstallation of
openresolv, resolvconf remains broken. I think this has to be solved by
systemd package.

Do you have any opinion, how should resolvconf be supported on Fedora?
Any opinion against it?

1. https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openresolv
2. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/systemd-resolved#Split_DNS
3. https://roy.marples.name/projects/openresolv/configuration/